dhclient and bootp broadcast

Lars Fredriksen lars at odin-corporation.com
Tue Apr 25 15:47:15 UTC 2006

Hi,
I ran into a problem recently with the following config:

    freebsd client -> wireless repeater -> wireless AP

It turned out that our packets from our dhclient was not seen by the
Wireless AP. Windows XP had no such problems. After a little digging, it
turns out that the windows XP dhclient sends out the REQUEST packet with
the BOOTP broadcast flag set, and our dhclient does not.

I contacted the maintainer of the openbsd dhclient software, but he
seemed uninterested in picking up my patches (adds a option to set the
BootP broadcast flag).

My question is this:  Is this only a problem because of buggy hardware
(wireless repeater in this case) and thus we should not support
workarounds, or is this something we should add as an enhancement to our
dhclient even if the openbsd folks are not interested?

Thanks,

Lars