Marvell 88E8053 lan controller support

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 00:19:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 08:01:06PM -0400, Brad wrote:
 > On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:49:34AM +0900, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
 > > On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 07:51:05AM -0700, othermark wrote:
 > >  > Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, OxY wrote:
 > >  > >
 > >  > >> hi!
 > >  > >>
 > >  > >> my question is when will this chip being supported by 6.x?
 > >  > >
 > >  > > for x>1 maybe.
 > >  > >
 > >  > >> or is it supported now and i didn't find the proper driver? :)
 > >  > >
 > >  > > search freebsd-net archive of Jan 2006, posting from andre oppermann
 > >  > > and do not forget to read the follow-ups.
 > >  >
 > >  > Just so other people don't have to do the rummaging, here's the link from
 > >  > gmane.org.
 > >  >
 > >  > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/79126/focus=79126
 > >  >
 > >  > I too am hoping someone will step up to the plate and this support will be
 > >  > integrated into -current.
 > >  >

 > > I've tried their driver on CURRENT(It needs a minor modification to
 > > compile on CURRENT). But the driver didn't recognize link and even
 > > it panicked with numeros witness warnings when I enabled jumbo frame
 > > support.
 > > In addition it didn't attach for DGE530T. I think there driver is
 > > in experimental stage not for production use. In order to support
 > > Yukon II we need a documentation from Marvell.
 >
 > It is *extremely* unlikely that you will ever see documentation for the
 > Yukon II from Marvell. At this point the only option is to reverse
 > engineer the existing driver and/or use the new Linux driver as a source
 > of information.

:-(

Since they released source code for FreeBSD I can't see any point
not releasing the documentation. However I'm happy as they didn't
released binary only driver such as nve(4).
Getting hardware information from Linux driver source would be more
better option due to the complexity of Marvell's driver, I guess.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon