requests for mbufs denied

Vlad GALU vladgalu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 10:53:30 UTC 2006

On 4/24/06, Vlad GALU <vladgalu at gmail.com> wrote:
>     The machine in question is a 6.1-RC. It serves a quite big number
> of clients (the lowest concurrency figures are around 2000, with peaks
> up to 9000). The in/out buffers for tcp sockets are 8K each.
> kern.ipc.nmbclusters is set to 327680. The firewall is pf, with the
> following limits: 131072 states and 262144 src-nodes. So more than
> generous limits. However, $subj statistics keep growing and growing.
> The machine has rebooted a few times, without dumping any core upon
> restart, although debugging support (both symbols and kgdb) is
> compiled in.
>     Should I worry about the aforementioned stats ? If so, any idea of
> how to narrow the issue down ? I can't test much on the machine,
> unfortunately.
>
> P.S. I've the feeling that the growth rate of allocation failures went
> downhill since I removed the pfsync support, but it's just a feeling,
> I didn't measure it accurately.

   As a secondary footnote, the statistics for the currenty used mbuf
are never alarming, while the number of allocation request still
grows:

-- cut here --
761/2314/3075 mbufs in use (current/cache/total)
406/568/974/327680 mbuf clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
[...]
1004K/1714K/2719K bytes allocated to network (current/cache/total)
273341/8477/0 requests for mbufs denied (mbufs/clusters/mbuf+clusters)
-- and here --