Watchdog timeouts and dead network on bge - 6.1-RC1

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Sun Apr 23 12:35:30 UTC 2006

We recently upgraded one of our 4.11 servers to 6.1-RC1. The server is a
Dell PE2650, dual Xeons, and has two onboard Broadcom BCM5701 cards, using
the bge driver.

Some older threads on -net and -current led me to believe that most issues
with bge driver in FreeBSD >4 had been sorted. However, after our upgrade,
we are seing errors like this:

Apr 22 18:44:01 nebula kernel: bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
Apr 22 18:44:01 nebula kernel: bge0: link state changed to DOWN
Apr 22 18:44:03 nebula kernel: bge0: link state changed to UP

...and more importantly - when this happens, the network connection does
NOT in fact come back up. Logging into the box locally (or via a different
network interface) and manually issuing "ifconfig bge0 down ; ifconfig
bge0 up" DOES get the interface going again, however.

We have only seen this on very high network loads - the particular message
included above occured while transferring some 120GB of data from a 4.11
NFS-server to this 6.1-RC1 box.

Is this a known issue in bge? If so, is anyone working on it? Can we
provide some useful information to whoever this might be?

We have never had any issues with bge in 4.x, but we really need to get
this server up to 5.x/6.x at this point in time, any other suggestions on
knobs or workarounds that can give us bge stability?

Thanks in advance,

/leg