How to use if_bridge

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sat Apr 15 01:23:52 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 21:37, Fabian Keil wrote:
> > killall devd [to stop it running dhclient]
> > /etc/rc.d/netif stop ath0
> > ifconfig bridge0 create
> > wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
> > ifconfig bridge0 create
> > ifconfig bridge0 addm ath0
> > dhclient bridge0
>
> What's the intention behind the last step
> and why did you have to create bridge0 twice?

Sorry I made a mistake transcribing my steps..
I only created it once :)

I tried the wired interface on my laptop and it worked fine so I think
bridging confuses wpa_supplicant - I restarted wpa_supplicant in the
foreground and it gave me errors the moment I added it to the bridge.

> If you didn't already, you have to set net.inet.ip.forwarding.

Ahh OK.

> Depending on your firewall setup you might have to disable
> some of the net.link.bridge sysctls as well.

I don't have any firewalls in the kernel for simplicity at this stage.

Thanks for your help.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum