inter pro wireless problems

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Tue Apr 11 16:41:27 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 16:15, Zane C.B. wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:38:24 +0200 (CEST)
>
> <hellbinder at gazeta.pl> wrote:
> > I have a problem setting up Intel PRO / Wireless 2200BG on Asus
> > A3500N machine running FreeBSD 6.0. I tried to follow instructions
> > at http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/ipw-freebsd.html but they are
> > ok up till some point. I've installed iwi-firmware as needed and
> > dmesg shows right wireless adapted at booting.
> > First problem: No iwicontrol installed and I can't find anywhere.
> > But the interface is up anyway.
> > Second problem: sysctl dev.iwi.0.radio shown my card is running but
> > the led on the computer is not on - so is it really on? I guess yes
> > if ifconfig iwi0 returns:
> > iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >         inet6 fe80::212:f0ff:fe86:724c%iwi0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
> >         inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
> >         ether 00:12:f0:86:72:4c
> >         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
> >         status: no carrier
> >         ssid mcstudio channel 1
> >         authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey UNDEF txpowmax 100
> > protmode CTS
> > Final problem when I tried to connect to AP by:
> >  ifconfig iwi0 ssid mcstudio wepkey 0x6f73696f6c wepmode on
> > I received:
> > ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument
> >
> > What's that how to solve these problems??
>
> iwicontrol is provided by the net/iwi-firmware port. Just install it
> and put iwi_enable="YES" in rc.conf. I would honestly suggest running
> with iwiNG and the iwi-firmware-kmod port though. You can find iwiNG on
> the list here recently. I've had a problem with data corruption with
> current iwi driver on releng_6. I've also had problems with the device
> becoming unresponsive after a scan is done. IwiNG fixed both problems.

The data corruption was an independent problem in the net80211 layer that has
been fixed in HEAD and RELENG_6 about one month ago.  The "iwiNG" can be
found here: http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/new_iwi/ and needs
net/iwi-firmware-kmod as well as a recent RELENG_6 or CURRENT machine (one
that installs firmware.ko), but - due to the data corruption - it's not a bad
idea to update anyway.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org