forward a tcp stream through rs232

Norbert Koch nkoch at gmx.de
Sat Apr 8 14:25:29 UTC 2006

Hello.

I want to forward one or more tcp ports through the rs232 line.
What I want is to forward e.g. ssh and vnc for remote control
purposes via modems.
That means: A client machine running an application
that listens to a port and reliably forwards tcp streams to a
server machine where an other applications binds to the
service port.

        Server:                                      Client:
ssh port <---> application <---> // <---> application <---> port <---> PuTTY

I know I could just use ppp, but the client side will be a windows
machine and I do not want to have the overhead of a complete
TCP/IP protocol on the serial line. And I also do not want to
have to configure IP addresses.

Does anybody know about some quick and dirty solution for that?

If not, is there at least some serial i/o library with a reliable packet
transfer protocol like e.g. HDLC/LAPBC or DDCMP or something
similar? I did not find anything in the ports that was helpful.

I could but do not want to re-invent a wheel, which surely has
been invented more than once in the last century;-)

Thank you,

Norbert Koch