Unreliable Unix Domain DGRAM socket?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 8 06:48:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Qiao Yang wrote:

> Does anyone know what possible scenarios may cause the Unix Domain DGRAM
> socket to lose packet? We know, in theory, it is unreliable, but in reality,
> I rarely see packet loss happens to this type of socket. Unfortunately, I
> believe it happened a few times in the last couple of months in a FreeBSD
> 5.3 box and I wasn't able to track down what the cause was.
>
> One related question. Considering the following setup, client (socket_A)
> send a packet to server (socket_B). If the sending buffer of socket_A is ok
> but the receiving buffer of socket_B is full, will sendto() return error?

Yes -- there are several situations where packets can be lost.  The most
typical one is that there is insufficient room in the receive buffer.
uipc_usrreq.c:uipc_send() calls sbappendaddr_locked() to append to the remote
receive socket:

         if (space > sbspace(sb))
                 return (0);

uipc_send() converts this to ENOBUFS.  Other loss scenarios include EMSGSIZE
if the message is too large.  If sendto() is called with the flag
MSG_DONTWAIT, you can also get ENOBUFS due to mbuf allocator exhaustion.

Robert N M Watson