Does the "iwi" driver (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG) support "hostap"?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri Apr 7 19:50:34 UTC 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 21:13, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> When I try to configure my "iwi" device (after loading the bss
> firmware) to run as an access point (under 6.0-STABLE):
>          ifconfig iwi0 inet <my-addr> ssid FOOBAR channel 5 media
> DS/11Mbps mediaopt hostap up
> I get
>          ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (media): Device not configured
>
> Is this because "hostap" mode is not currently supported for the
> Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (iwi) device?  Or is there something that
> I'm doing wrong?

No, iwi(4) does not support hostap mode at the moment.  There seems to be some
effort in making a Linux driver: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipw2200-ap
but it is unclear what the status of this is.

> (If it's not possible to run this driver in "hostap" mode, then how
> could I configure it to run as an IBSS 'base station' instead?  (The
> "network-wireless.html" page in the FreeBSD handbook is silent on this
> point.))

The ath(4) man page has the following example:
  ifconfig ath0 inet 192.168.0.22 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid my_net \
  mode 11b mediaopt adhoc

I haven't been able to get iwi(4) working in IBSS mode however.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org