How connect 2 PC with ath in hostap mode ?

Marcin Jessa lists at yazzy.org
Fri Sep 30 00:57:53 PDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:10:19 +0400
Andrey Smagin <samspeedu at mail.ru> wrote:

> Hi ALL,
Hi Andrey.

>  People please say it possible under FreeBSD ?
>  Any body have sucess stories about it ?
>  What manual I must read to do it ? :)

man ifconfig should be the place to start.
Anyway, you can connect two PCs when one of them runs in
hostap and the other one in ad-hoc mode.
This will set up one of them as AP:
ifconfig_ath0="inet 12.23.34.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid Andrey mode
11g mediaopt hostap"

And one in adhoc:
ifconfig_ath0="inet 12.23.34.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid Andrey
channel 6 mode 11g mediaopt adhoc"

You can also run both atheros nics in ad-hoc mode and bridge their
interfaces with wired nics.

And you can set up your atheros access point as apbridge which will
pass packets between wireless clients directly.

You cannot connect two APs in hostap mode as they will never associate
to one another.

Cheers
Marcin.