"ifconfig -vlandev" syntax

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Wed Sep 28 03:39:44 PDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 11:08:25PM +0100, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

> There's also the issue that the "vlan" and "vlandev" options have to be
> specified in that order, which is counter-intuitive and undocumented.
>
> leeloo# ifconfig vlan14 vlandev fxp0 vlan 14
> ifconfig: must specify both vlan tag and device
> leeloo# ifconfig vlan14 vlan 14 vlandev fxp0
> leeloo#

Agreed.  I noticed this issue, too, but forgot about it later.
Would you mind filing a PR with me in Cc so that I won't forget
about it again?  Can't promise making the order arbitrary, but
documenting this subtlety is a must.

> Also, you can't set both the vlan and IP address information:
> leeloo# ifconfig vlan14 vlan 14 vlandev fxp0 inet W.X.Y.Z netmask 255.255.255.0
> ifconfig: inet: bad value
>
> As a result of this, the only way to create vlans from rc.conf seems to
> be in two stages, by renaming the interface:
>
> cloned_interfaces="vlan14"
> ifconfig_vlan14="vlan 14 vlandev fxp0 name somename"
> ifconfig_somename="inet W.X.Y.Z netmask 255.255.255.0"

Just use:

  ifconfig_vlan14="inet W.X.Y.Z netmask 255.255.255.0 vlan 14 vlandev fxp0"

This is what ifconfig(8) manpage tells in the syntax section:
the address should precede other parameters.

--
Yar