tap devices and DHCP.

Sten Daniel Sørsdal lists at wm-access.no
Thu Sep 22 05:10:56 PDT 2005

> I have a bridge with one fxp0 nic (which I renamed to net0) and one tap1
> device. The other end runs linux as DHCP server on LAN.
> It communicates with the DHCP server through the fxp0 device which is a
> member of the same bridge.

Then it would in my opinion be more correct to run dhclient on the
bridge interface.
However bridge0 doesnt seem to support broadcast packets which are
necessary for DHCP to work. That could be the problem.

I see that tap1 does support broadcast but since it is a member of the
bridge it should/shouldn't support it depending on how you see it.

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal