UDP dont fragment bit

Sten Daniel Sørsdal lists at wm-access.no
Wed Sep 21 03:42:50 PDT 2005

> For whatever reason, it turns out that you and only you have requested
> this feature.  For typicaly network debugging applications, a raw socket
> is used, which allows the direct frobbing the the IP DF bit.  For
> example, in traceroute(8).
>
> Could you tell us a bit more about the application and proposed use?
> Presumably forcing the DF bit isn't much use unless you can also
> retrieve useful reporting on the ICMP errors associated with needing the
> fragment?

I have been looking for such a feature too.
My Application; Bandwidth tester (also as a support app for an UDP file
transfer utility)
The reason i want DF bit removed? I want to be able to generate my own
fragments or let the routers generate the fragments.
I also want to be able to receive bad UDP packets to gather statistics.
This would be userland applications.

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal