options Hz=100000, scheduling at 10 microseconds

Vaibhave Agarwal vaibhave at cs.utah.edu
Tue Sep 20 11:41:51 PDT 2005

hi,
Just a little background - I want to fire events at
10 microsecond granularity in FreeBSD, and it was suggested to use
Hz=100000 in the kernel config file.

This is a good approach, only if I schedule events every 10 us ( which i
am not doing ). Due to this high frequency interrupts, I am  incurring a
lot of overheads and deviations in firing events.

I came across this other way of firing events at micro-seconds
granularity, which uses "local APIC timer", by writing a us value into a
register and generating the event when timer reaches zero.
The implementation I know of is only in Linux.

http://www.oberle.org/apic_timer.html
and the technical paper is:
http://stillhq.com/pdfdb/000522/data.pdf

The paper shows that mean deviation of this approach is less than 3 us.

But I can't find any such support for FreeBSD.
Do you guys know of any such implementation for FreeBSD?

Thanks for help,
vaibhave