domain name not resolution too slow or timeouts

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Mon Oct 31 07:56:59 PST 2005

Even though on Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:12  Miroslav Lachman
realized that everything he says should be taken 'cum grano salis',
he unhesitatingly continued with this missive:

> Nandagopal wrote:
> > Hehe,
> > sorry if I sounded too boring :) and thanks for replying.
> >

> >>Find the correct name servers.
> >

> > I have got two name-servers in my resolv.conf file. They are exactly the
> > same as in the XP settings and they work just fine.
> >
> > Sirode
>
> Do you have firewall (IPFW, IPF, PF) on freebsd machine? Ain't you
> blocking DNS replies?

And besides having the name-servers in the resolv.conf file,
depending on which version of FreeBSD he is using the order
of searching will have to be in the host.conf file or how nsswitch
is set up.

If you don't tell the system to use those name servers it's not
going to use them.   I don't recall if the OP mentioned the OS
version he was using in the original post.

BIll
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com