re(4) works in 5.3-RELEASE, not in 6.0-RC1

george+freebsd at m5p.com george+freebsd at m5p.com
Thu Oct 20 11:52:18 PDT 2005

iI have a RealTek 8169S which works just fine under 5.3-RELEASE.  I've
been experimenting with 6.0-RC1 booting from CD.  It appears to come up
with no difficulty, but ping fails, and shortly thereafter, I get
"re0: watchdog timeout" in my messages.  Although I can't ping other
machines and other machines can't ping me, "arp -a" shows the MAC
address of other machines on the ethernet segment, and arp on the
other machines I tried to ping shows the MAC address of the 6.0
machine.  I see the RCS version has gone from 1.28.2.5 in 5.3-RELEASE
to 1.46.2.7 in 6.0-RC1, and the changes look numerous but not very
big.  Should I try compiling the 1.28.2.5 version into a 6.0 kernel
and seeing what happens?                         -- George Mitchell