mpd disconnect due to LCP echo not responding

Dominic Marks dom at helenmarks.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 06:29:24 PDT 2005

Hello,

I have a number of staff who use pptp links to VPN (Windows to FreeBSD mpd
server) in to the Office. Some times when the link is busy the LCP echos
won't pass over the link quickly enough and the connection will terminate.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this, or at least make it less
likely to happen. Options I have thought of are:

Increasing the number of echos mpd waits before disconnecting.

Increasing the time out for LCP echos.

Using traffic shaping to prioritise the LCP traffic over other traffic.

Are any of these possible, or is there another way of acheiving the same
goal?

Some example log output:

Oct 19 15:18:38 billy mpd: [ng5] LCP: no reply to 1 echo request(s)
Oct 19 15:18:48 billy mpd: [ng5] LCP: no reply to 2 echo request(s)
Oct 19 15:18:58 billy mpd: [ng5] LCP: no reply to 3 echo request(s)
Oct 19 15:19:08 billy mpd: [ng5] LCP: no reply to 4 echo request(s)
Oct 19 15:19:18 billy mpd: [ng5] LCP: no reply to 5 echo request(s)
Oct 19 15:19:18 billy mpd: [ng5] LCP: peer not responding to echo requests

Thanks,
Dominic Marks