Network performance 6.0 with netperf

Michael VInce mv at roq.com
Thu Oct 20 01:25:59 PDT 2005

Here is my probably final round of tests that I thought could possible
be useful to others.

I have enabled polling on the interfaces and discovered some of the
master secret holy grail sysctls that really make this stuff work.
I now get over 900mbits/sec router performance with polling.

Having sysctl either net.isr.direct=1 or net.inet.ip.fastforwarding=1
gave roughly an extra 445mbits performance increase according to netperf
tests, because my tests aren't really lab strict enough I still haven't
been able to easily see a difference between having net.isr.direct=1 or
0 while also having net.inet.ip.fastforwarding set to 1, it does appear
that having net.isr.direct=1 might be stealing the job of the
net.inet.ip.fastforwarding sysctl because when
net.inet.ip.fastforwarding=0 and net.isr.direct=1 on the gateway I still
get the 905.48mbit/sec route speed listed below.

 From the client machine (A) through the gateway (B with polling
enabled) to the server (C)
With net.isr.direct=1 and net.inet.ip.fastforwarding=1
A> /usr/local/netperf/netperf -l 10 -H server-C -t TCP_STREAM -i 10,2 -I
99,5 -- -m 4096 -s 57344 -S 57344
Elapsed Throughput - 10^6bits/sec: 905.48

With net.isr.direct=0 and net.inet.ip.fastforwarding=0
Elapsed Throughput - 10^6bits/sec: 460.15

Apache get 'fetch' test.
A> fetch -o - > /dev/null http://server-C/file1gig.iso
-                                             100% of 1055 MB   67 MBps
00m00s

Interestingly when testing from the gateway it self (B) direct to server
(C) having 'net.isr.direct=1'  slowed down performance to 583mbits/sec
B> /usr/local/netperf/netperf -l 10 -H server-C -t TCP_STREAM -i 10,2 -I
99,5 -- -m 4096 -s 57344 -S 57344
Elapsed Throughput - 10^6bits/sec: 583.57

Same test with 'net.isr.direct=0'
Elapsed Throughput - 10^6bits/sec: 868.94
I have to ask how can this be possible if when its being used as a
router with net.isr.direct=1 it passes traffic at over 900mbits/sec
Having net.inet.ip.fastforwarding=1 doesn't affect the performance in
these B to C tests.

I believe faster performance may still be possible as another rack of
gear I have that has another AMD64 6.0 RC1 Dell 2850 (Kes) gives me up
to 930mbits/sec in apache fetch tests, I believe its even faster here
because its an AMD64 Apache server or its possible it could just have a
bit better quality ether cables, as I mentioned before the Apache server
for box "C" in above tests is i386 on 6.0RC1.

This fetch test is only on a switch with no router between them.
spin> fetch -o - > /dev/null http://kes/500megs.zip
-                                             100% of  610 MB   93 MBps

So far from this casual testing I have discovered these things on my
servers.
Using 6.0 on SMP servers gives a big boost in network performance over
5.x SMP using i386 or AMD64
FreeBSD as router on gigabit ethernet with the use of polling gives over
x2 performance with the right sysctls.
Needs more testing but it appears using AMD64 FreeBSD might be better
then i386 for Apache2 network performance on SMP kernels.
Single interface speeds tests from the router with polling enabled and
with 'net.isr.direct=1' appears to affect performance.

Regards,
Mike