VIA VT6103 support (VIA EPIA PD)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Oct 7 11:05:54 PDT 2005

Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
 > Antony Mawer <fbsd-net at mawer.org> wrote:
 > > I'm using one of the PD10000 EPIA machines as a mail
 > > server/router/firewall/etc at home and it performs quite nicely at the
 > > job. I haven't noticed any problems with the network on it...:
 >
 > Cool, thanks!  I just ordered mine.  :-)

It arrived last week, I installed it in a standard ATX Midi-
tower, plugged a DDR DIMM and a hard disk to it, and it ran
flawlessly out of the box.  Every single on-board component
is supported by FreeBSD.  :)

It has survived several buildworlds and network activity
without any problems.  It's now running today's 6.0-BETA5.
Here's a copy of dmesg, if someone's interested:

http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/dmesg/epia.6.0-BETA5.txt

 > > It's currently running 6.0-BETA2 (although I'll be bringing it
 > > up-to-date with the latest RELENG_6 shortly; buildworld on the machine
 > > does take a while so I'll probably NFS mount it off another faster machine!)
 >
 > How long does a buildworld take?

Now I can answer my question myself:  The buildworld of
6.0-BETA5 takes 1 hour 50 minutes (I excluded Kerberos and
a few other small parts, though).

 > PS:  An related question (although off-topic here):
 > I assume a Mini-ITX board fits into a standard ATX Midi-
 > tower without problems, right?

At least it fits perfectly into the ATX Midi tower that I
bought.  A pretty cheap one even (but still good).

Best regards
   Oliver

"[...]  one observation we can make here is that Python makes
an excellent pseudocoding language, with the wonderful attribute
that it can actually be executed."  --  Bruce Eckel