dummynet, em driver, device polling issues :-((

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Oct 4 08:22:33 PDT 2005

Benjamin Rosenblum wrote:
> i have been messing with the em driver now for over a month, ive come to
> the conclusion is a piece of crap.  if you watch on this list every
> other day you have someone saying there em driver is causing some sort
> of error, this should not be on a nic from a company like intel.

This is known as "selection bias".

People who have em NICs, and who do not have problems, probably do not report
regularly that their Intel 10/100/1000 NIC works fine, even though it does, at
least for them.  I've got a dozen or so machines with that hardware, and I
haven't seen any problems with them.

> im saddly contimplating moving over to fedora right now just so i can work
> until 6.0 comes out (which i doubt will solve the problem anyway since
> im using the drivers from 6.0 now and there not helping out either).

If you want to use Fedora instead, go right ahead and do so...

> somebody really needs to look into this and find out what the hell is
> going on as i consider this a major problem right now.

Are you volunteering?

--
-Chuck