dummynet, em driver, device polling issues :-((

Ferdinand Goldmann ferdinand.goldmann at jku.at
Tue Oct 4 05:01:01 PDT 2005

Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 02:29:35PM +0200, Ferdinand Goldmann wrote:
> F> Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> F>
> F> >All I can say: I have faced this problem, too. :( This is not problem in
> F> >polling, but in em.
> F> >
> F>
> F> Thank you! Just now I downloaded the driver from the Intel website; seems
> F> to compile fine, but I'll have to wait at least until tomorrow morning to
> F> test it.
> F>
> F> Do you have any experiences with the Intel driver?
>
> Please share your results with community.

Ok, to followup on this issue:

Today I installed the driver which I had downloaded from the Intel website
(em-3.2.15.tar.gz). This driver does not solve the issue with Ierrs rising
rapidly when polling is enabled (I tried HZ=1000 and burst_max 300 and 600).

Neither throughput nor interrupt load were any better than with the old driver;
in fact I'd say they were worse. :-( So we ended up rebooting with the old kernel.

This is pretty bad, because we did assume that Intel cards are among the ones
well supported by FreeBSD.

Can anyone give recommendations on copper Gbit cards that work _well_ with
recent FreeBSD 5-STABLE?