pf / queue+stateful / r generated rules assigned to the right queue?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Mon Oct 3 13:47:04 PDT 2005

Arne,

On Monday 03 October 2005 21:17, Arne Wörner wrote:
> Since my server cannot process gracefully a 20Mb/s stream on one
> NIC, while ntpd (or ping) runs on the other NIC (round trip times
> increase from about 60msec to 300msec), I tried to limit the
> sporadic big data stream to not more than 9Mb/s.

it is impossible to limit incoming traffic!  In order to limit this, you need
to queue on a gateway "in front" of the server.

> When I look at "pfctl -s queue -vv" it looks like, just one way is
> mentioned in the statistic, while the generated corresponding rule
> (I use "keep state") isn't a member of any queue, which would be a
> bug...

I have problems to understand what you are saying here.  Keep some things in
mind:
 1) One can only queue *OUT*going traffic
 2) All unclassified outgoing traffic ends up in the default queue
 3) Don't forget about 1)

I might, however, completely misunderstand you problem/question.  In any case
you could try to take this to freebsd-pf@ which is a more specialized
mailinglist.  The people there can certainly help you with your setup.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org