if_bridge not working with second interface

Özkan KIRIK ozkan at mersin.edu.tr
Sun Nov 27 16:03:52 GMT 2005

Hi,

i am trying to bridge two interfaces via if_bridge.
i built a new kernel that includes "device if_bridge" line.

my physical interfaces are fxp0 and fxp1
bridge0 works with fxp0, but it doesnt work with fxp1

i tried configurations below:

Note: fxp0 and fxp1 doesnt have ip adress

# ifconfig bridge0 create
# ifconfig bridge0 addm fxp0
# ifconfig bridge0 inet 10.0.0.1/24

# ping 10.0.0.2
PING 10.0.0.2 (10.0.0.2): 56 data bytes

it works. Then, I removed cable from fxp0 and plugged to fxp1.
# ifconfig bridge0 destroy
# ifconfig bridge0 create
# ifconfig bridge0 addm fxp1
# ifconfig bridge0 inet 10.0.0.1/24

# ping 10.0.0.2
PING 10.0.0.2 (10.0.0.2): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Host is down

After this result, i removed fxp0 from my pc. Now the old fxp1 becomes
fxp0. And now i can ping via bridge member fxp0.
All NICs are working , but as you see if_bridge doesnt work with the
second interface.

How can i solve problem?  ( OS is: FreeBSD 6.0 - RELEASE )

thanks for your interests