arp flood on STABLE: Was: em driver woes

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 26 10:31:28 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 09:12:04PM +0000, Volcane wrote:
V> I scanned through the archive and noticed a posting there about an
V> interrupt storm on the em driver, I am not sure if my symptoms are
V> related so I decided on a new thread.
V>
V> I first installed the 6.0-RELEASE using FTP install and everything was
V> happy, I then CVSUP'd to RELENG_6 which had an em driver update a few
V> hours ago.
V>
V> Did the world and kernel and booted, on the boot with the new kernel I
V> noticed my network was dead.  I could get the initial DHCP from my
V> server but once it got an IP it wasn't working.
V>
V> Further investigation with tcpdump showed me a massive amount of arp
V> requests for my gateway IP, with replies coming back to the card.
V> Output of 'arp -an' showed that the gateway ARP was indeed in the arp
V> table so there shouldnt have been any reason for all the arp requests.

This is not related to em(4). This is my mistake in last revision of
if_ether.c. Please back it out, and your network will be alive again.

As soon as I get it fixed I will inform you.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE