arp-proxy

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Nov 10 06:31:26 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 03:08:34PM +0100, Jon Otterholm wrote:
> The point in all this is to reduce administration on my hand and in some
> cases to offer a service to customers with the feeling that they reside
> "on the same layer".

That is, customer A *wants* to see all the Netbios broadcasts from customers
B, C and D, and vice versa? Oh well. I can't help you really, except perhaps
to point you to the Netgraph module API :-)

> Alcatels soloution to this is to put an ARP-proxy in a Cisco-router.

Proxy-ARP is easy enough in FreeBSD: there are net-mgmt/choparp and net/arpd
in ports (I have used the former, not the latter) and `arp pub`. However
that's a long way removed from a bridge which rewrites packets - a sort of
layer 2 NAT...

Regards,

Brian.