nat exclusion?

Peter Gregorc peter at paranoid-zine.com
Wed Nov 2 13:09:31 PST 2005

Hi!

I'm quite new to using BSD as a router, and I didn't find any solution
for my problem.

My config is like this:
ADSL MODEM BSD WS1 WS2 WS3
 |     |    |   |   |   |
 ________________________  (switch or hub-doesn't matter)

I've got a /30 class subnet from my ISP. What i want to do is:
 -my BSD should start a PPPoE connection with my ISP
 -one of the IPs from /30 should be used by BSD
 -the 2nd of the IPs should be used by WS1
 -WS2 and WS3 have local IP's and should have full access to internet
 (NAT via BSD).

 The problem is, that if i enable NAT in ppp.conf, then my WS1
 introduces itself to internet as BSD (x.x.x.241) instead of it's own
 IP (.242). .242 IS accessable from outside, traceroute goes OK via
 .241.
 If i disable NAT, i get .242 to be shown to internet, but offcourse
 the 2 WS's with local IP's loose connectivity.

Is there any chance to disable NAT for one of the IP's the easy way?
I know I can assign both public IPs to BSD and then use ipfw to route
1 to WS1 and other to WS2 and WS3...but that's the last resort.

Please CC answer to me, I don't have the time to check the list on
daily basis.

Thanks!

Peter