[Hardware] Dual GBit PCI Card with copper+fiber interface

Raphael H. Becker rabe at p-i-n.com
Mon May 2 03:11:36 PDT 2005

Hello *,

we want to connect our copper-GBit segment (in rack) to our "big" LAN
using a fiber uplink. We currently uplink with 100MBit FE which becomes
more and more a bottleneck.

The machine is a Dell PE350 / 800MHz / 256MB running 4.10-RELEASE and
ipfw for some filter rules. The machine is a dedicated inter-DMZ router
for two segments. The machine has only one PCI Slot (the existing
dual-fxp is onboard).

Is there a PCI-card on market with one port GBit fiber and one port GBit
copper? Is this card supported with FreeBSD 4.1x or 5.x?

Any recommendations (including "new hardware for the system")?

Regards
Raphael Becker