PPP Lan Bridge

Chris Tusa at Linisys, LLC linisys at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:00:08 PST 2005

OK,

I put the solution in place and had great results. The ONLY issue that
I had, is with some routing. In order for the rest of the network to
communicate with the hosts at the maintainence shed, I had to set a
'static route'. I did so using DHCP, no problems there.

However, I have a problem on the PPP server in its routing table:

*  I cannot add the static route to 'rc.conf':

static_routes="theshed"
route_theshed="192.168.1.234 192.168.1.233"

because it creates the table entry pointing to the wrong interface -
fxp0 instead of tun0

* I tried the same thing in the 'ppp.conf' file. I tried several
variations with no success:

server:
   add 192.168.1.234 192.168.1.233
   add 192.168.1.234/30 192.168.1.233

* I tried placing a shell script to be run in 'ppp.linkup' on the server
server:
  bg /etc/ppp/setroute.sh

and then setroute.sh:

#!/bin/sh
route delete 192.168.1.234
route add 192.168.1.234 192.168.1.233

STILL FAILS!

But once the PPP link is established, if I add the route manually or
run the shell script, it works fine thereafter. So the problem is that
the routing table gets updated with the WRONG interface.  The FreeBSD
man page for 'route' is unclear about how to specify the interface on
the command line. Any additional advice?

--
Chris Tusa
linisys at gmail.com