PPP routing failure

Peter C. Lai sirmoo at cowbert.2y.net
Thu Mar 17 17:37:22 PST 2005

Hi everyone -
I'm experiencing some funky routing failures when I dialup netscape internet
via user-level PPP:
I can negotiate IPCP fine; get a point-to-point link via tun0:
myaddr: 172.143.224.146; hisaddr: 63.152.0.70
When the default route is setup to 63.152.0.70, all of my packets are
blackholed after the first router hop. I am not using NAT.
The PPP link works perfectly fine in windows dialup networking. So I dunno
what is wrong. When I look at the routing table in windows, it seems backwards:

DEST		NM		GW		IF
default		0		myaddr		ppp
hisaddr		0xffffffff	myaddr		ppp
localhost	0xff000000	localhost	localhost
myaddr		0xffffffff	localhost	localhost
myaddr.255.255*	0xffffffff	myaddr		ppp
multicast	multicast	myaddr		ppp

*this is the first 2 dotted quads of myaddr appended with 255.255

If I try to manually set these routes in 5.3-R, I still can't get out :(
Setting ADD DEFAULT MYADDR doesn't work, because ppp will still think MYADDR
is 0.0.0.0. Either I need sleep or something is funky here...

--
Peter C. Lai
University of Connecticut