Setup of jail bound to lo0

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Wed Mar 16 01:47:27 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, [UTF-8] SÅ~Bawek Å»ak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to have some jails configured, sharing single IP address (IPv6
> is a no-no for the time being:). Therefore I came up with an idea of
> binding them all to lo0 and assigning subsequent IP aliases as the
> addresses. The requirement for the jails is to let them to receive
> (the easy part) and *send* packets to the outside.
>
> The jails cannot directly access the Internet as they cannot bind to
> the external IP address of course. Some translation needs to be made,
> I think. After wrestling with ipfw/ipf/pf for a couple of hours I
> don't have a working solution.

pf:

# Tables: similar to macros, but more flexible for many addresses.
table <webservers> { 1.2.3.4, 5.6.7.8, 9.9.9.9 }

# Translation: specify how addresses are to be mapped or redirected.
nat on $ext_if from $loopback_addr to any -> ($ext_if)

# rdr: packets coming in on $ext_if with destination <webservers>:80
rdr on $ext_if proto tcp from any to <webservers> port 80 -> $loopback_addr port 80

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem