IPMI doesn't work...

Jeff anon1 at santaba.com
Mon Mar 14 16:31:35 PST 2005

Jung-uk Kim wrote:

>On Monday 14 March 2005 02:32 pm, Jeff wrote:
>

>><posted this to -questions too but thought the nic component made
>>it worth posting to -net>
>>
>>on a 5.3 amd64 system.  anyone have any luck or know anything about
>>this?  i can query variables right up until the point where the
>>kernel loads, then nothing.  ibm is saying this can be caused by
>>the actual nic driver (the Baseboard Management Controller (BMC)
>>shares the network interface); the system uses a Broadcom BCM5704C
>>Dual gig adapter:
>>
>>bge0: <Broadcom BCM5704C Dual Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x2003>
>>mem 0xfe000000-0xfe00ffff,0xfe010000-0xfe01ffff irq 24 at device
>>1.0 on pci2
>>

>Does 'in-band' mode work for you?  Try FreeIPMI to check:
>
>http://www.gnu.org/software/freeipmi/
>http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/freeipmi/

I'm not sure what you mean by in band.  The IP address of the BMC is
assigned via the bios and is different from what the OS later assigns.
With imiptool we can turn on/powercycle/monitor via the BMC assigned
address up until the point where the kernel loads.  Once it does, the
BMC no longer responds.  This doesn't happen with the two linux distros
we've tried it on.  Wtih both, including SuSE, we can still
query/control via the BMC using ipmitool.  It seems to be some sort of
driver issue to me.  I find it confusing that the NIC is shared between
the BMC and the OS, but I guess that's just how it's done.  Perhaps the
bsd broadcomm driver is simply blocking this somehow...

jeff