tcpdump/bpf and seeing .1q tags

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 12:21:10 PST 2005

On Mar 9, 2005, at 2:22 PM, Charlie Schluting wrote:
> So with tcpdump -e it somehow magically sees vlan tags.. even if
> hardware stripping of the tags is enabled. How?

tcpdump normally puts the interface into promiscuous mode.
Perhaps retry using the '-p' flag?

> More importantly, I'm trying to figure out if a bpf read will see them
> as well. Any insight on this?

Yes, or it will if you use promisc mode and an appropriate BPF filter:

               vlan [vlan_id]
                      True  if  the  packet  is an IEEE 802.1Q VLAN
packet.  If
                      [vlan_id] is specified, only true is the packet
has  the
                      specified  vlan_id.   Note  that  the  first vlan
keyword
                      encountered in expression changes  the  decoding
offsets
                      for  the  remainder  of expression on the
assumption that
                      the packet is a VLAN packet.

--
-Chuck