multiple uplinks from ISP

mc mc at netx.com.hk
Wed Mar 9 03:49:44 PST 2005

In fact, the biggest problem with me is that I don't have any development
machines for building a test network, in other words I cannot do experiments
at anytime I want. I usually need to plan the experiment in details and do
the experiment with some idle hot backup machine in the network, or I can
also use things like VMware to setup a testing network, but getting VMware's
network to work as expected is headache....

outgoing/incoming ratio: its the reverse actually :P. out/in is roughly
equals to 10:1, usually 12Mbps incoming and 99Mbps outgoing. actually most
the traffic is just generated by a single web server.

 > If it's like 1:10, maybe you won't need multipath routing. You will  use
only one interface for sending packets, and you will get them back via two
interfaces. Think about it. In this case - everything that you need is two
equal-cost routes to your network on the ISP side. Remember the KISS idea
:-)
imho this setup have several drawbacks...at least if the sending link fails,
the packets would not automatically go to the other interface. also,
firewalling could be made difficult if the packets are distributed like
this.