FreeBSD 4.x and OS-X tcp performance

Henrik Gammelgaard gammelgaard at bigfoot.com
Sun Mar 6 15:48:21 PST 2005

Charles Sprickman wrote:

> I'd really like to move past the duplex issues.  I'm very very
> familiar with that and already chased my tail on that one here and in
> my many years of working at an ISP.  I did a back-to-back test with
> speed/duplex locked and I get the same result.  All the switch ports
> are running clean - no errors, which is something you'd normally see
> if autoneg failed.
>
> Plus if you look at the matrix above, you can see that every other
> combination in my "normal" config works.  If there were a duplex
> problem, I would be seeing it either from OS-X <-> OBSD or FBSD <->
> OBSD.  It also probably wouldn't allow me to get really fast UDP NFS
> between the boxes.
>
> For fun I'm going to post a full tcpdump of an ftp session from one
> box to the other, maybe someone can spot something there?  It's
> attached and bzip'd.  It's a tcpdump of both hosts transferring a 1MB
> tarfile.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Charles

I also had a problem recently with my PB running OS X 10.3.8 and an
OpenBSD 3.6 box - no duplex settings helped and TCP performance was very
very poor, just getting a working ssh connection from mac -> openbsd
took maybe 10mins, oddly UDP traffic worked as it was supposed to.
I didnt find the problem except that it worked OK once I replaced the
NIC in the OpenBSD box with another one, think the original one was a
very cheap lowend one and I replaced it with an old 3Com NIC and
everything worked.

With kinds regards,
Henrik