FreeBSD 4.x and OS-X tcp performance

Charles Sprickman spork at fasttrackmonkey.com
Sun Mar 6 13:46:03 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Bill Vermillion wrote:

> "Ang utong ko ay sasabog sa sarap!" exclaimed Charles Sprickman
> while reading this message on Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:43
> and then responded with:

>>> I'd start with ensureing your nic's media options are properly
>>> set (I've seen this exact behavior during duplex mismatches)
>
>> Yep, I wouldn't have come here without checking all the basics.  I should
>> also add that given three machines in my standard config I get the
>> following results which will also help rule out cabling/speed/duplex
>> issues:
>
>> os-x <-> obsd - good
>> os-x <-> fbsd - bad
>> obsd <-> fbsd - good
>> os-x <-> os-x - good

> I do suspect duplex problems.   He was connecting to one of our
> Cicso switches and Cisco has some extensive docs on some
> configuration problems.  Part of it comes from when some vendors
> decided to add their own features and violated standards.

I'd really like to move past the duplex issues.  I'm very very familiar
with that and already chased my tail on that one here and in my many years
of working at an ISP.  I did a back-to-back test with speed/duplex locked
and I get the same result.  All the switch ports are running clean - no
errors, which is something you'd normally see if autoneg failed.

Plus if you look at the matrix above, you can see that every other
combination in my "normal" config works.  If there were a duplex problem,
I would be seeing it either from OS-X <-> OBSD or FBSD <-> OBSD.  It also
probably wouldn't allow me to get really fast UDP NFS between the boxes.

For fun I'm going to post a full tcpdump of an ftp session from one box to
the other, maybe someone can spot something there?  It's attached and
bzip'd.  It's a tcpdump of both hosts transferring a 1MB tarfile.

Thanks!

Charles