FreeBSD 4.x and OS-X tcp performance

Charles Sprickman spork at fasttrackmonkey.com
Fri Mar 4 14:34:42 PST 2005

Howdy,

Sorry to bring what seems like a simple issue up here.  I had been blaming
slow afp filesharing between my OS-X (10.3.8 and previous) and FreeBSD 4.x
boxes on netatalk's afp implementation for some time.  Not too long ago I
got frustrated with this and tried smb and then ftp.  On a simple 10/100
network, and even with just a crossover between two boxes it seems that
any tcp transfer tops out at around 250KB/s.

On the same network using the same switch I can get near line-rate to an
OpenBSD box and to another OS-X box.

If I use nfs and force udp as the transport, I *do* get near line-rate
between OS-X and FBSD.

My 5.3 box is tanked at the moment, so I cannot tell if the problem
happens there as well.  I do have a full ADC account, so I will be testing
with the latest Tiger preview shortly, and the ADC access does give me a
decent bug reporting facility if the fault lies within the OS-X tcp stack.

I'm no tcpdump wizard, would anyone care to help me track this down?

Thanks,

Charles