Looking For Ideas or Suggestions

Greg Rowe greg at qwest.net
Fri Jun 24 22:42:46 GMT 2005

On Friday 24 June 2005 06:15 pm, Vlad GALU wrote:
> On 6/25/05, Greg Rowe <greg at qwest.net> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >  I've been chasing a network interface "freeze" problem on and off for
> > some time now and it's driving me nuts !

>   Are you sure that's not your catalyst forgetting about the MAC of
> the machine ? Or the MAC expiring from the ARP table of your router ?
> Are you experiencing unicast floods while this phenomena is happening
> ?
No unicast floods that I can see using ethereal. These systems are part of a
larger cluster of servers, both Solaris and FreeBSD, so I have a number of
other systems besides these on that Catalyst and routers. All the systems
have multiple interfaces for both external and internal system to system
traffic. These two systems are the only ones having the issue.

>    I suppose your default route is through em1. Try sending the
> they arrived on. You can do that with any of the packet filters
> FreeBSD has. It should pretty much take care of your issue.
>    I suppose this is what happens: a requests comes on fxp0, the
> machine sends the reply back via em1. I'm pretty sure your catalyst
> forgets the MAC of fxp0.

The default route is em0. Inbound mail comes in through that interface, is
processed, and then is sent to other systems that reside on the em1 network
segment (different network). Looking at the TCP sessions, the traffic appears
to stay on the proper LAN. I'll double verify this though.

Thanks

--

Greg Rowe <greg at qwest.net> Qwest Wireless, L.L.C.
"The telephone, for those of you who  have forgotten, was a commonly