Policy routing idea (Was: ipfw: Would it be possible to continue processing rest of rules after match ?)

Ari Suutari ari at suutari.iki.fi
Wed Jun 22 10:40:53 GMT 2005

Hi,

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> i suggest to implement a new action 'setnexthop' which stores the
> next hop as an MTAG with the packet (so it is preserved if the
> packet gets passed to dummynet).

	I took a quick look at how ipfw forward has been implemented.
	It seems to use PACKET_TAG_IPFORWARD to store routing info.
	If I would implement "ipfw setnexthop" with a new MTAG it
	would duplicate very much code already present for PACKET_TAG_IPFORWARD.

	If I could reuse the same MTAG this would be easier to add, all
	that would be needed is a new opcode for ipfw (or am I missing
	something important ?)

	Ari S.