Policy routing idea (Was: ipfw: Would it be possible to continue processing rest of rules after match ?)

Ari Suutari ari at suutari.iki.fi
Tue Jun 21 06:27:44 GMT 2005

Hi,

I sent this to ipfw mailing list some time ago, but
got no response. I would like to adjust ipfw behaviour
with fwd rules to make policy routing easier (ie. make
it separete from filtering rules). I would just like
some input if this makes any sense (or is possible at
all with current design).

 >Currently the ipfw fwd rules work so that the packet
 >is accepted when fwd rule matches.
 >
 >Would it be possible just tag the packet with
 >information about next_hop and just continue processing the
 >rules ? This would make complex rulesets with policy-based
 >routing much simpler, since one could just have relevat
 >fwd statments at beginning of rule sets and then
 >filter the packets in usual way.

	Ari S.