FreeBSD 5.4 802.1q and linux stalls

Meno Abels meno.abels at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 13:41:13 GMT 2005

Sorry i doesn't saw your question regarding tcpdump. First thats quite
complex to
do there are usally 5000 packets per second out of the spread traffic.
This causes
tcpdump to real trouble it starts to drop alot of packets i tried but
I found nothing.
Which not mean there is nothing but....
I think the problem is not directly the switch on of the vlan, i think
that the switch on
of the vlan causes that the freebsd frames will be look different from
that machine.
I had a look to that but found also not anything reasonable. But the question
is where i should look. To the spread udp-broadcast's to the ganglia
multicasts or
the carp multicasts or the generic arp traffic or the generic tcp
traffic. I have no
idea.

I'am also not very happy about my prediction about that the receiving
of arp doesn't work.
This based on tcpdump where i see that the linux is sending arp packets away
but not receiving them. But if i look on the answering freebsd there
is a answer packet
generated and send out.
Also i tried to setup arp static but that doesn't brings up the
communication again.
So there could be a different problem. On the other hand the linux is
still working if
there is no arp timeout/retry(aging) or arp -d done by hand. So the
facts are still not really prooven.

Meno