PPPoE on virtual interfaces inside vimages?

Ragnar Lonn raglon at packetfront.com
Thu Jun 16 16:48:59 GMT 2005

Yet another complex question regarding vimage/netgraph :-)

I'm trying to use the ppp program to do PPPoE on an ngeth interface
without much
luck. I'm using the following Netgraph tree setup:

    upper---link0
[fxp0]          [ng_bridge] link2---ds [ng_vlan] vlan101--- ether
[ngeth0 at vimage1]
    lower---link1

The physical ethernet interface fxp0 has setautosrc=0 configured and the
ngeth interface
has its own unique MAC address set. Packets sent out are thus tagged
with VLAN id
101 and gets a certain MAC address. All of this behaviour is a necessity
for the
application we run (client simulations - The VLAN node actually has
hundreds of
upstream VLAN hooks connected to hundreds of ngeth interfaces in
hundreds of
vimages).

Now, the ppp program uses Netgraph to connect to the "orphan" hook of a
real
ethernet interface, so when I try to run it in a vimage on the ngeth0
interface there it
complains that the interface type is wrong (I have patched the kernel so
it is possible
to create ng_sockets inside any vimage so that's not a problem at
least). It wants
an ng_ether interface, with an "orphans" hook.

Is it possible to have ppp connect to the ng_eiface (ngeth) interface
instead of
a real physical interface, and how should I do that?  Or if not, what
would be
the best way to be able to do PPPoE inside a vimage, while simultaneously
forcing VLAN-tagging and MAC address overwriting?

Regards,

  /Ragnar