IPC between vimage instances?

Ragnar Lonn raglon at packetfront.com
Thu Jun 16 10:06:14 GMT 2005

Julian Elischer wrote:

>> Being able to remove interfaces would be really great. Then I could
>> create extra logging interfaces in each vimage and not worry about
>> the cleanup nightmare afterwards. Right now, I have a lot of script
>> code just to find and reuse old ngeth interfaces sitting around in the
>> default vimage and if I'm to have two types of those interfaces
>> (one for logging, that has one underlying netgraph tree structure, and
>> one for test traffic, using another netgraph tree structure) it would
>> likely be at least twice as much trouble. That's why I was looking for
>> some other way of communicating between different vimages.
>

> "use the source Luke"
> I know it seems like a lot but the netgraph code and the networking
> interface code are
> relatively simple..

Well, I'm tempted to do that but I'm a bit scared it will turn out to be
a major task -
I mean, being able to remove network interfaces is a pretty useful
feature so why
hasn't it been implemented?  Or has it really just not been high enough
priority for
anyone to bother with?

 >interface removal in 4.x was nt quite "finished"
 >there are several viewpoints from which th einterface is not quite
removed.
 >(as you have found)
 >I can not remember the details as It all changed in 5.x

Anyone else who can fill me in on the basic problem with interface
removal under 4.x?
What is it that doesn't work, what code (files) should I look at if I
want to try and
fix it?

Regards,

  /Ragnar