IPC between vimage instances?

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Jun 10 18:11:52 GMT 2005

Ragnar Lonn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using vimage on FreeBSD 4.11 along with Netgraph to setup a
> system
> that simulates many physical client machines for the purpose of
> testing broadband
> Internet access hardware. I have hundreds of vimages, each with its
> own ngeth0
> network interface connected via Netgraph to a real physical interface.
> It is working
> very well indeed but now I'm trying to setup logging from the various
> vimage
> instances and have run into problems. Each vimage runs applications that
> I want to log the output from in an orderly manner. I'd like to use
> syslog but as
> it turns out, the processes inside a vimage cannot communicate with
> the syslogd
> in the "default" vimage. I tried logging to the Unix domain socket
> /var/run/log but
> that didn't work from within a vimage (other than "default" of course).

did you ask syslog to open sockets in all the chroots?
I assume yes.. I hadn't realised that the vimage code separates
unix domain sockets etc. but I guess that makes sense.

As you mention, the usual answer is to get the syslog on each system to
forward everything to one logging system.

 you could add a second interface to each vimage just for logging to
keep it separate from the testing..