Problems with gif tunnels

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 8 09:57:07 GMT 2005

On Wednesday,  8 June 2005 at 10:49:46 +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
>> I don't see any reply.  But that's not surprising, since the echo
>> packet doesn't get delivered.  To summarize again:
>>
>> - rl0 is the external interface (-> DSL), IP 150.101.14.10.
>> - xl0 is the internal interface, IP 192.109.197.143.
>> - encapsulated packet comes in from 203.16.215.227 with data from IP
>>   192.83.231.16 for 192.109.197.145.  It should go out xl0.
>> - It doesn't.  No further indication of why not.
>
> I saw your commit on gif(4) manual page precising that gif(4) does not
> do GRE tunnels.  Does it represent a solution to your problem ?

Heh.  Yes :-)

It's currently pushing 7:30 pm, and I was going to send out a reply
tomorrow.  But indeed, it seems that Linux people prefer GRE tunnels,
we prefer (with good reason) IP tunnels, and the whole issue was one
of documentation.  After changing my tunnel from GRE to IP, it worked
(and works) like a charm.

But there's more to come, including a docco for Internode to hand to
their FreeBSD customers (sadly, once they were FreeBSD, but they moved
to Linux).  Watch this space.

Greg
--
The virus contained in this message was not detected.

Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.