xxconfig for if_bridge

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri Jun 3 17:52:16 PDT 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 23:41, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 02:00:36PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >>what does if_bridge give you that cannot be achieved with
> >>ng_bridge+ng_eiface?
> >>Well, I guess it has some spanning tree algorythm in it, but it might be
> >>as easy to put
> >>that in ng_bridge and a lot more flexible,
> >
> >We had this same discussion a year ago.
> >
> >http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-April/thread.html#
> >25886
>
> and I still don't see why it is better to import Yet another bridge
> module rather
> than adding it to the 2 we already have.

In the long run (by 7.0 if things go as planed) the current bridge will be
removed.  The current bridge.c implementation has some issues and isn't
really actively maintained, while if_bridge is in Net- and OpenBSD and hence
we get more from it.

You are welcome, of course, to teach ng_bridge about STP and whatnot.  I just
wonder why that hasn't happened by now?

> You can do things with ng_bridge that you can't do with if_bridge..

And vice versa ... your point being?

> for example bridge together 3 remote sites connected by ipsec tunnels.

for example do proper firewalling on the bridge (without having to push the
traffic through a gazillion netgraph nodes, which isn't all that great for
performace).

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org