ipnat problems on RELENG_5 (ipnat fails to load its tables)

Billy Newsom smartweb at leadhill.net
Thu Jun 2 21:26:33 PDT 2005

Since I am having ipnat problems on FreeBSD 5.4, and none on 5.3, I was
hoping to help out the matter of tracking down the bug.  I was wanting a
little help with backing out some CVS changes made in the last three
months to the kernel.

I see now that ipnat has undergone a major update between 5.3 and 5.4.
And whatever happened, caused me (and apparently a few others) grief:
ipnat won't load its tables at boot time, although it runs as if it is
fine.  I have filed a PR, and started a thread on freebsd-stable, but
now I need some help.

I have tried the only suggestion I got on the other list -- to enable
ipv6.  No good.  My future plans are to run the GENERIC kernel (but one
person with this problem was using the GENERIC kernel), and to backout
the CVS changes.  I don't really know how to build a custom kernel like
this, though.  Also, is there any debugging or programs I could run
during the times of failure to see any unusual activity on the systems?

See PR 81606 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/81606
See threads at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-May/015329.html
and
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-May/015507.html

See CVS changes at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/contrib/ipfilter/netinet/
The maintainer and author of ipfilter was doing this:
"Merge the changes from 3.4.35 to 4.1.8 into the kernel source tree"

Thanks
Billy