xxconfig for if_bridge

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Jun 2 20:37:16 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 02:01:40PM +1200, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Hi,
>

> The if_bridge code that will soon be committed can be configured using
> either brconfig or ifconfig.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~thompsa/
>
> Only one tool will be committed and I would like to get opinions on
> which one ppl prefer
>
> brconfig
>  - new util to /sbin
>  + same as NetBSD/OpenBSD
>  - would require new rc.d script and rc.conf keywords
>
> ifconfig (patched for if_bridge)
>  + one tool to rule them all
>  + seamless with rc.conf, ifconfig_bridge0="..."
>  - diverges from the other BSDs

ifconfig is strongly prefered.  With Sam's extensable ifconfig in
current, nearly all the various network related *config/*control
commands should be considered deprecated.  The preliforation of xxconfig
commands stems more form the difficulty of hacking ifconfig then any
good reason, IMO.

-- Brooks