Traffic quota features in IPFW

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sat Jul 16 15:40:43 GMT 2005

On Saturday 16 July 2005 17:02, Chris Dionissopoulos wrote:
> Hi ppl, ( and sorry for cross posting)
>
> I review Andrey's  Elsukov patch for adding "bound" support in ipfw, and i
> decide to  push a little forward this feature.

Sorry to be blunt, but I don't see the point in this feature nor do I think
it's a good idea.  All it does is adding overhead to every packet that is
processed by IPFW.  You might argue that this overhead is fairly little, but
if you combine the last ten "neat to have though not really necessary"
features this adds up.  Also the code is getting more and more hacked up.
Your feature might be nicely done, but it adds to the main switch-loops
making them more and more unreadable until it all falls over and nobody is
willing to touch the code anymore.  I have seen (too) much ipfw code lately
while tieing together lose ends in the IPv6-import and it's already messy
enough.

I urge you to reconsider if we really need this.  If you think we can't live
without it, it'd be nice if you could come up with a clean(er) way to extend
IPFW with additional stuff like this without impact to performance and
maintainability for the common case (without the magic foobar-option of the
day).  Thanks.

BTW: This function can be done with a three line awk-skript without any effect
on performance.  Of course you will lose some precision, but I don't see
applications where you have to be *that* percise.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org