ipfw+dummynet only getting half bandwidth when using routed interfaces.

Philip Olsson olsson at puffy.nu
Mon Jul 11 06:43:47 GMT 2005

Hello
I have a working setup with ipfw+dummynet+bridge where I get proper
speeds but I want to have routed interfaces instead and skip the bridge.

But when converting to routed interfaces the bandwith through the queues
drops to half.

This is both in 5.4-REL and RELENG_5_4 and is showing on both xl and em
( not that the interfaces should matter )

The topology that work is:
server<->bridge<->client

The topology I want but that does not work properly is:
server<->router<->client

This is my conf:

ipfw add pipe 1 ip from 192.168.1.1 to any out
ipfw add pipe 2 ip from any to 192.168.1.1 in
ipfw pipe 1 config bw 2048Kbit/s
ipfw pipe 2 config bw 2048bit/s

// Philip