vlans changed?

Charlie Schluting charlie at schluting.com
Wed Jan 26 09:37:52 PST 2005

On 1/20/2005 2:33 AM, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Charlie Schluting wrote:
>>Now, in 5.3, the only thing I can get working is to configure the em0
>>int with the IP, and set the trunk to have the native vlan corresponding
>>to that IP. Weird.
>>
>>Also, is there a way to stop em(4) from stripping dot1q tags in
>>hardware? I'd like to see them with tcpdump. What kind of a performance
>>hit does this involve?
>

> Try "ifconfig em0 -vlanhwtag" and see if that helps.  If not, take a look
> in if_em.c:em_setup_interface(), and you'll see two lines like this:

Ok, I seem to have forgotten the nature of this bug, even though I had
previously run into it. Heh. This is a different computer, and em0 (aside from
vlans not working properly) "turns off" every once in a while too. It happened
with the fxp driver on my other box.

What a coincidence that I asked about disabling hw tagging :)

So, I've disabled vlanhwtag with ifconfig. If it worked, the interface will
stay up all day today. It normally doesn't last more than 4 hours on this box.
By "up" I mean it will continue to work.. it doesn't really go down.

I'll let you know.
If this doesn't help, I'll try commenting out the stuff you mentioned in
em_setup_interface().

-Charlie